Learn more about the wide range of organizations and businesses that make up the Girls Coalition.
Girls Coalition Members I – Z
InterPlay Pittsburgh – Sheila K. Collins
- InterPlay Pittsburgh is a non-profit, performing arts organization founded by Sheila K. Collins, a teacher, professor of Social Work, and therapist and co-founder/director of a behavioral health care clinic. InterPlay offers educational and performance-based programs that aim to serve adults dealing with challenging circumstances, including grief and loss, mental illness, homelessness, and trauma, and the caregivers and social workers serving these people.
- Website: http://www.interplaypittsburgh.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Sheila.K.Collins.DancingWithEverything
- iTwixie brings girls together to write blogs, read articles just for them and take challenges to help change the world, all while supporting their authentic, respectful voices. No gossip. No bullying. 100% moderated and dedicated to keeping girls empowered and safe.
- Website: http://www.itwixie.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/iTwixie
Jewish’s Women’s Foundation (JWF) of Greater Pittsburgh
- The Jewish Women’s Foundation of Greater Pittsburgh was founded in 2000 to create lasting social change in the lives of women and girls in Jewish and general communities. Through its donors’ collective input, experience, and leadership, JWF funds innovative programs to address the unmet needs of women and girls in Allegheny County and Israel.
- Website: http://jwfpgh.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jwfpgh
The Kelly-Strayhorn Theater
- The Kelly-Strayhorn Theater, the last of nine theaters from the 1950s heyday of East Liberty, is an intimate, professionally-equipped, 350 seat multiple-use performance venue. With a commitment to serve the burgeoning arts community in Pittsburgh, the theater serves as an ideal place for emerging local and regional artists (in dance, theater, music, and live art) and arts organizations to take risks and present new work.
- Website: http://kelly-strayhorn.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KellyStrayhornTheater
Mars Home for Youth (MHY) Family Services
- For over 137 years, MHY Family Services has been committed to providing a sanctuary to help youth, families, and adults heal and cope with psychological and traumatic experiences. MHY Family Services provides comprehensive residential treatment and educational programming for hundreds of boys and girls (ages 9-18) annually, while providing specialized community service programs for youth, families, and adults.
- Website: http://www.mhyfamilyservices.org
- Facebook: N/A; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mars-Home-For-Youth/425476457492305
Maximizing Adolescent Potentials (MAPS)
- Founded in 1986 as a program of the University of Pittsburgh School of Education and Allegheny County Drug and Alcohol Prevention Programs, MAPS is a research, public service, and training program dedicated to the prevention of drug and alcohol problems among youth, the promotion of adolescent mental health, and the development of capable young people. MAPS works with schools, families, communities, children, and adolescents in a variety of settings.
- Website: http://www.education.pitt.edu/EducationalResources/CommunityAdvocates/MaximizingAdolescentPotentialsMAPS.aspx
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mapsprogram
McAuley Ministries (Pittsburgh Mercy Health System)
- Founded in 2008, McAuley Ministries is a public foundation and the grant-making arm of Pittsburgh Mercy Health System, which provides vital, person-centered, community-based programs that address and integrate care for the Pittsburgh region’s most vulnerable populations: persons with mental disorders, substance use disorders, intellectual disabilities, as well as persons affected by homelessness, trauma, and abuse. McAuley Ministries prioritizes funding health and wellness, community development, education, and capacity building initiatives for non-profits serving the aforementioned populations.
- Website: http://mcauleyministries.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PittsburghMercy
The Midwife Center for Birth & Women’s Health
- The Midwife Center is Southwestern Pennsylvania’s only licensed and accredited freestanding birth center offering primary gynecological care, prenatal care, and childbirth in a warm and supportive birth center. Programs and services at The Midwife Center are guided by the philosophy that a woman should be in control of her own healthcare, especially her birth experience.
- Website: https://midwifecenter.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheMidwifeCenter
Outreach Teen & Family Services
- Outreach Teen & Family Services is a non-profit, community-based counseling agency located in the South Hills area of Pittsburgh. Outreach provides professional, confidential, affordable counseling to young people and their families, with services to address anger management, family problems, school-related issues, depression, anxiety, drug & alcohol, and myriad of other issues.
- Website: http://www.outreachteen.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/outreachteen
Pittsburgh Board of Public Education, Career & Technical Education Division (CTE)
- The Career and Technical Education Division (CTE) is program of Pittsburgh Public Schools (PPS) that allows participating students to both earn workforce certifications and college credit in culinary arts, health careers technology, or RHVAC. Currently, PPS operates 15 CTE programs in 6 comprehensive high schools in the district for rising 10th graders.
- Website: http://www.pps.k12.pa.us/domain/144
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PittsburghPublicSchools
Pittsburgh Council on Higher Education (PCHE)
- Founded in 1966, PCHE is a volunteer, multi-purpose consortium of the 10 colleges and universities located in Allegheny County, PA. From the beginning, its purposes have been to provide a means for sharing resources, insights, and information among members institutions; engage in joint or cooperative activities and projects; and offer a common voice on matter that affect all of the member institutions.
- Website: http://pchepa.org – not currently active
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pittsburghcouncilonhighered
POWER (Pennsylvania Organization for Women in Early Recovery)
- POWER is a non-profit agency whose mission is to help women reclaim their lives from the disease of addiction to alcohol and other drugs, and to reduce the incidence of addiction in the future. POWER offers women confidential, comprehensive screening, assessment, referral, and intake services designed to help them access the care they need.
- Website: http://power-recovery.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/POWERRecovery
PROGRESS (Program for Research & Outreach on Gender Equity in Society)
- Founded in 2006 by Dr. Linda C. Babcock, Professor of Economics at Carnegie Mellon University’s Heinz College, PROGRESS was established to examine and address the critical issue of gender inequity by providing negotiation tools and sound academic research that empower all women and girls to reach their full potential. PROGRESS targets women and girls between the ages of 7 – 12 and currently works within schools, after school programs and camps, women’s organizations, businesses, conferences, and more.
- Website: http://progress.heinz.cmu.edu
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Progress-CMU-317758378291747
Strong Women Strong Girls (SWSG)
- SWSG empowers girls to imagine a broader future through a curriculum grounded on female role models delivered by college women mentors, who are themselves mentored by professional women. Based in both Boston and Pittsburgh regions, SWSG currently offers programs for girls in grades 3-5 as well as opportunities to volunteer for both college and professional women.
- Website: http://swsg.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Strong-Women-Strong-Girls-Pittsburgh-609445662465245
Three Rivers Community Foundation (TRCF)
- TRCF advances social change through grantmaking, advocacy, and capacity development for grassroots and other organizations in Southwestern Pennsylvania. TRCF funds programs and organizations focused on advocating for disability rights, economic justice, environmental justice, LGBTQ rights, racial justice, and women, youth, and families.
- Website: http://trcfwpa.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/trcfwpa
Tobacco Free Allegheny (TFA)
- TFA was established in 2002 to administer and manage the comprehensive tobacco prevention and cessation program in Allegheny County. TFA also serves as a resource for the community helping to raise awareness about the importance of clean indoor air laws that prevent harmful and unnecessary exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke.
- Website: http://tobaccofreeallegheny.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Tobacco-Free-Allegheny-136326949744313
- Union Project is a community arts, enterprise, and events center aimed at strengthening the stability of Pittsburgh’s neighborhoods and residents. Established in 2001, the historic Union Project building provides an affordable, safe, and welcoming home to community builders, creative entrepreneurs, artists, non-profits, and small businesses.
- Website: http://www.unionproject.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UnionProject
United Way of Southwestern Pennsylvania / Westmoreland County
- United Way of Southwestern Pennsylvania, serving Allegheny, Westmoreland, Fayette, & Southern Armstrong Counties, brings people together to tackle the community’s most challenging issues and mobilizes the caring power of individuals and organizations to help people in need measurably improve their lives. As the community’s fundraiser, the United Way of SWPA streamlines the process of getting dollars to agencies that are impacting critical community needs.
- Website: https://uwswpa.org / http://www.unitedway4u.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/unitedwaySWPA
University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work
- University of Pittsburgh’s School of Social Work seeks to advance knowledge and to apply that knowledge for the fulfillment of human potential through the prevention and amelioration of social problems. The School is committed to promoting the values of social and economic justice through its Bachelor’s, Master’s, and PhD programs.
- Website: http://www.socialwork.pitt.edu
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PittSSW
UPMC Center for Diversity and Inclusion
- UPMC’s CFEI was launched in 2008 and is focused on making inclusion, dignity, respect, and cultural awareness core components of the employee, health plan member, patient, and community experience. The CFEI’s strives to create an inclusive workplace; recruit, develop, and retain a diverse workforce; ensure culturally appropriate care, products, and services; and make a difference in the communities they serve.
- Website: http://www.upmc.com/ABOUT/COMMUNITY-COMMITMENT/INCLUSION/Pages/default.aspx
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UPMCEngagement
Winchester Thurston School
- Winchester Thurston School is an independent, coeducational, college preparatory school with two campuses: a Pre-Kindergarten through grade five North Campus in Allison Park and a Pre-Kindergarten through grade 12 City Campus in Shadyside. Winchester Thurston School actively engages each student in a challenging and inspiring learning process that develops the mind, motivates the passion to achieve and cultivates the character to serve.
- Website: http://www.winchesterthurston.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/winchesterthurston
The Women & Girls Foundation
- The Women & Girls Foundation is a non-profit organization based in Pittsburgh aimed at achieving equality for women and girls, now and for generations to come. The Foundation promotes social change by addressing fundamental social inequalities and raising awareness of these inequalities to the media, voters, legislators, and corporate and non-profit decision-makers.
- Website: http://wgfpa.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wgfpa
Women for a Healthy Environment
- Women for a Healthy Environment is a non-profit organization that educates and empowers women to be ambassadors about environmental risks so that they can make healthy choices for themselves and their families and advocate for change. Women for a Healthy Environment focuses on environmental health on individual and collective levels, specifically through the Women’s Health & Environment Conference, sponsored by Teresa Heinz Kerry, the Heinz Endowments, and Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC.
- Website: http://www.womenforahealthyenvironment.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Women-for-a-Healthy-Environment-128745183811835
Women’s Law Project
- The Women’s Law Project is a public interest law firm that has brought and won lawsuits challenging gender discrimination since 1974. The Project has challenged sex discrimination in employment, education, athletics, and insurance; advanced the rights of lesbian and gay parents; advocated on behalf of impoverished women; worked for fair and accessible procedures in child custody, child support, and protection from abuse actions; and championed the rights of sexual assault survivors.
- Website: http://www.womenslawproject.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/womenslawproj
YWCA of Greater Pittsburgh
- Since its proud beginnings in 1869, the YWCA of Greater Pittsburgh has worked to empower women and their families, advocate for fair and equitable conditions, and challenge social and racial injustice. Today’s YW forges a trail of leadership, advocacy, and action wherever it recognizes a community need, including speaking out against racial inequality, supporting women on their journey toward improved breast health, providing a safe space for struggling women, referring thousands of families to child care providers, and teaching young women about STEM and dating violence.
- Website: http://www.ywcapgh.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ywcapgh
YWCA of Westmoreland County
- The YWCA of Westmoreland County is a non-profit organization that has served the county for over 50 years. The YWCA offers a variety of educational and social programs, including childcare, health and wellness programs, adult basic literacy and English as a Second Language, support groups, and racial justice programming.
- Website: http://www.ywcawestmoreland.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/YWCA-Westmoreland-County-126795947378988