On June 13, 2013, the Girls Coalition will welcome attendees to our 5th Annual Conference: Girls Can Change the World!
We will be partnering with The Ellis School to host the event and we are planning a great day for professionals who serve support or advocate for girls in our region.
How can you get involved?
Presentations at the event will focus on three key areas: Successful girl-led initiatives, solution-based programming tools and models, and strengthening girl-serving organizations.
The opening session will include:
- Deneen Young, Philadelphia ambassador for Black Girls Run!
- Laila Al-Soulaiman a young Pittsburgh activist who draws attention to violence in Syria.
- Sarah Pesi, pushes legislation to protect against stalking or harassment, working with Women and Girls Foundation to push forward Sarah's Bill.
- Charlotte Murphy preserves a basketabll program for girls in the Pittsburgh Public Schools, seeking Title IX suuport from Women's Law Project.
Session Topics Include:
- Grassroots feminism in Pittsburgh
- Better identifying and supporting girls with eating disorders
- Developing inclusive programming to support youth of all abilities
- How the Hardy Girls, Healthy Women curriculum is being further developed and implemented in Pittsburgh
- Title IX, including the PA's recently passed Equity in Interscholastic Athletics Disclosure Act (which goes into effect 10/2013)
- Promoting social activism in girls
- Successful models for raising awareness about safe sex in high school and college settings
- Strenghthening organizations through digital communications
- Galvanizing African American girls to recognize their individual self-worth and the value of their sisters, through the 10 life domains critical to a girl’s healthy development
- Specific techniques to engage girls in critical understanding and use of the media
- Engaging girls in STEM and guiding them toward an equitable future
- Experiences from the Maikuru Project: Teen Mom Mentoring Study
- Engaging, training, and managing a strong volunteer base to support programming
Our Generous Sponsors
EDEN HALL FOUNDATION
Pittsburgh Association for the Education of the Young Child
Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management
YWCA of Greater Pittsburgh
Jewish Women's Foundation